Polish stuffed cabbage is the dish which I remember my both grandmas, and later on also my mom, were doing very often. It is a very traditional meal made of ground pork and beef mixed with rice, rolled in the boiled cabbage leaves and baked in tomato sauce. There are as many variations of Golabki as there is the housewives in Poland. Every woman will tweak the recipe a little different and each time stuffed cabbage meal will taste just delicious!
Here I am presenting the traditional Golabki recipe with changes made to create a great Paleo/Keto dish! So let me transfer you to my family house for a bit!
Ingredients for the stuffed cabbage:
- 1 large head green cabbage (around 20-24 ounces)
- 1 lbs of grass-fed ground beef
- 1 lbs of ground pork
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced finely (around 4 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups of grated or rice cauliflower
- ½ tbsp garlic powder or minced garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan Pink salt
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
Ingredients for tomato sauce:
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (2 cans)
- 1 tbsp of dried or fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp of dried or fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp of dried or fresh cilantro
- 5 tbsp of avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rice or grate the cauliflower. I use my food processor. Save 1-1/2 cups for this recipe and the rest could be used as fried or sautéed side dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. Cut the core out of the cabbage and place it in the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. As the leaves soften, peel them off with a spoon. Take care not to rip them in half. The whole process usually takes about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the onion and grated cauliflower and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and the cauliflower is softened. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine the onion and cauliflower with the meat, and mix by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Roll the golabki by holding a cabbage leaf, concave side up with the stem toward you, and placing a large spoonful of the meat mixture at the stem end. Then roll forward, fold the sides in and end with the seam down.
- Mix the crushed tomatoes and spices and avocado oil in a bowl. Put ~1 cup in the bottom of the slow cooker (or casserole dish). Lay the golabki in with the seam side down. Cover with the remaining tomato mixture once the slow cooker is full.
- For a slow cooker, cook on low for 5 hours. If using the oven, cover the top of the dish with foil and bake for 60-90 minutes at 350°F. You can cook them also in the deep pot in the tomato mixture on the stove pot on medium for around 45-60 minutes.
Nutritional Facts per serving with ¼ cup of tomato sauce:
284 cal, 22g Fats, 8g saturated fats, 7g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 14g proteins, 53mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 91mg potassium.
YOU ARE IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!
YOU got this beYOUtiful!!!! ❤